Sunday, January 26, 2014

Reflective Searching

No...not as in searching my soul for deeper understandings about who I am!  But being reflective about my searching techniques and skills!

I see myself as a pretty proficient searcher.  I use Google at least once a day to find information, and I have been able to find what I needed with very little trouble.  I did pick up some tips and tricks from the video that helped me improve, because, after all, we can always get better!  I see myself as a "viewer" type searcher!  I think one of the main reasons is that I have never been a big "reader".  I tend to go through sites and resources quickly, and if nothing sticks out immediately, I move to the next in search of something to quickly finish an assignment or task.

Considering this fact, I think that I am very similar to typical teens in terms of searching.  The reading passage in, "How Teens do Research in the Real World", pointed out several things that I can certainly relate to!  I have a very short attention span, and procrastinate often!  In fact, I am very surprised I am writing this post tonight, instead of waiting until Tuesday!  I think these two factors contribute to my searching style.

The "Filter Bubble" is a little creepy to me!  After reading the articles and watching the videos, I am slightly unsure about how to "pop" mine.  I know that removing your cookies and changing some settings can help reduce it.  However, it doesn't get rid of it all together.  I guess I am just going to have to be careful what I click on!  Maybe even try to confuse the Internet by searching off the wall topics and throwing off the algorithm!

No comments:

Post a Comment